Valentine’s Day is often associated with cards, chocolate, flowers, and an unspoken contest of sorts to see exactly how much a man loves a woman. I don’t buy into all of that. There should be no mandate on how and when to show someone you love them and how to say “I love you” in return.
For me, Valentine’s Day is simply a reminder to cherish the special people in my life, reflect on the ways I want to show my love, and to indulge in a little pampering. And of course you know I’ll indulge by taking a little extra time and thought for beauty.
The Body Shop has some of my favorite skin and body care products. Right now they have the Chocomania line available. I purchased a heart-shaped tin with 48-hour Body Butter, a body scrub, shower cream, and lip butter. So indulgent! This is one of those scents that is so yummy after it settles in. My favorite of the bunch is the lip butter! My second choice for Valentine’s day is the Strawberry line, especially the body polish. Can you imagine combining Strawberry and Chocomania?? Yum!
I wanted to create a makeup look appropriately themed for Valentine’s Day, but struggled at first. I realized I was trying to use too many “expected” products rather than putting together something I love. So I decided to cherish my own sense of style and create something that held the traditional romantic tones, but fell outside of the smokey eye and luscious lips category.
The look I created can be intensified for the evening with eyeliner and lip gloss. As is, it works any time of day and will flatter a number of skin tones. I really wanted to incorporate slight plum hues in the eyes because purples make blue, green, and brown eyes pop. But to avoid looking overly sweet, I layered a bronze-taupe underneath. And because I’ve been wearing a lot of bolder lip colors lately, I toned it down with something easy to apply that is also hydrating and volumizing.
- Primer: Revlon PhotoReady
- Concealer: Laura Geller the Real Deal in Medium
- Foundation: NARS Sheer Matte in Barcelona
- Highlight: Benefit High Beam
- To set: NARS Light Reflecting Setting Powder
- Cheeks: NARS Dolce Vita blush
- Primer (on lid and outer 1/2 of crease): Tarte empasEYES Cream Eyeshadow in Shimmering Taupe
- Lid: Laura Mercier African Violet
- Crease: Laura Mercier Sable
- Browbone: Laura Mercier Guava
- Lower lashline: Laura Mercier Sunlit
- Eyeliner (in top lashline and lower waterline): Urban Decay 24/7 Glide-On Pencil in Smog
- Mascara: MakeUp For Ever Smoky Lash
- Brows: Sonia Kashuk Brow Definer in Taupe / Anastasia Brow Gel in Espresso
- Color: Stila Color Balm Lipstick in Isla
Of course I love what the new NARS powder is doing for my appearance, but my favorite part of this look is the combination of Dolce Vita and High Beam for glowing cheeks. That and the fact that the new Stila Color Balm Lipsticks smell like Girl Scout Thin Mint Cookies. Indulge!