For the record, the red carpet at this year’s Academy Awards was kind of boring. And by red carpet, I mean “faces of.” Basically, no one’s makeup stood out. So when I saw pictures pop up a few days later of Ginnifer Goodwin rocking a blue party dress and some serious lashes, I was shocked that I had missed it. As it turns out, the really good makeup was saved for the after party and wasn’t even worn on the red carpet.
I originally saw Ginnifer’s look in an online article over at Glamour. Yet another blue eye look that is complete perfection! I’m seeing a trend as spring rolls around…more and more blue! I also really like the challenge of finding a way to make more colors work for me. My last post put vivid light blue into a day look. Here, I’m channeling the work of Ginnifer’s makeup artist who happened to use all NARS products. Since I don’t have all the same items, I put together my own rendition of Ginnifer’s dramatic Oscar Party look.
- Primer: Sonia Kashuk Extreme Wear Eye Base (all over) / Too Faced Shadow Insurance in Candlelight (lid only)
- Lid: Milani Liquif’Eye Eyeliner in Aqua blended with finger (as a base color) / Sonia Kashuk Eye on Pure Color Shade 12 / theBalm the Mother-in-Law
- Above Crease: NARS Galapagos
- In Crease (to blend) and inner corner: theBalm The Guy Who Died But Didn’t Really Die
- Dot at Inner Corner and lower lid: theBalm The Supermodel
- Browbone Highlight: theBalm Matt Malloy
- Eyeliner: MAC Eye Kohl in Smolder (upper and lower lashlines and waterline) / Stila Stay All Day Liquid Liner in Black (upper lashline)
- Mascara: MakeUp For Ever Smoky Lash
- Brows: Sonia Kashuk Eye on Neutral Shade 9 and Brow Definer in Taupe
- Primer: theBalm Time Balm Primer / Jemma Kidd Manequin Skin Complexion Enhancer
- Concealer: Tarte Maracuja Creaseless Concealer in Medium
- Foundation: Revlon ColorStay Whipped Foundation in Warm Golden
- Powder: NARS Light Reflecting Setting Powder (all over)
- Highlight: Physician’s Formula Happy Booster in Beige (tops of cheeks, sides of forehead)
- Contour: Too Faced Chocolate Soleil
- Cheeks: NARS Madly Blush
- To set: Urban Decay All Nighter Spray
- Base: Revlon Soft Nude Lipstick
- Color: Too Faced La Creme In the Buff
- Gloss: NARS Spring Break
I really should be wearing false lashes (I mean, come on, they make Ginnifer’s look as fun as it is), but when I tried to apply them, my actual lashes got rather angry and refused to cooperate. There was even gluing of one of my eyelids…to itself. For fear of ruining my makeup (my eyes were starting to water and my nose was running) I shrieked, gave up, and moved on. I do have an abundance of false lashes now that need to be used. Feel free to suggest a look.
I’m beginning to feel like I’ve finally conquered blue eyes. I do have one or two more blue looks I really want to try out, but for the most part the tricks to pulling it off remain the same: line the waterline and use neutral shadow in the crease.
Oh, and let’s not forget those brows…fill ‘em!