Spring is here and I’ve become obsessed with perfecting my foundation routine. I finally have it where I like it so I thought I’d share how I get my skin appearing fresh and glowing as the weather warms. I’ve included details and a photo with every step as well as links to in-depth reviews so you can follow along. Right now my skin is blemish-prone (as evidenced between my eyebrows!) and fairly balanced. This tutorial would work well for normal to combination skin with alternate suggestions listed for other skin types. Enjoy!
1. Use a moisturizer with sun protection and allow time for it to settle in. (The Body Shop Daily Moisturizer with SPF 30)
2. Apply primer (Revlon PhotoReady) to entire face for longer wear. Apply radiant primer (Laura Mercier Radiance) or a highlighter to cheeks only. For dry skin, use radiant primer all over the face. For Oily skin, opt for a mattifying primer.
3. Dot a lightweight sheer foundation (NARS Sheer Matte in Stromboli) three times down the center of the face and once on each cheek. Blend with a small dense brush (Real Techniques Expert Face) in rounded downward strokes. I prefer matte foundation (matte finish, not mattifying) for all skin types. I can always add radiance if I change my look, but can not remove it. It also saves money from buying various finish foundations that will expire before I can use them up.
4. (Photo shows progress)
5. Dot on concealer where needed. (NARS Radiant Creamy Concealer in Custard)
6. Blend by dabbing with a flat brush. (Laura Mercier Secret Camouflage or Real Techniques Pointed Foundation)
7. Pat loose setting powder over concealer only. (Laura Mercier Translucent Setting Powder with a Real Techniques Setting Brush) This prevents the concealer from coming off on the brush in the next step.
8. Pat on pressed powder. (NARS Light Reflecting Pressed Setting Powder with Real Techniques Buffing Brush) Note: I would combine steps 6 and 7 if I had the loose version of the Light Reflecting Powder.
9. Use a setting spray to melt all steps together. (Urban Decay All Nighter)
10. (Photo shows finished face makeup) I love how fresh my skin looks and the fact that it won’t get oily throughout the day. My foundation stays put for over 8 hours.
Then just apply color keeping the face light and glowing!
What are you favorite face products for spring?